Old September 21st 09, 05:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Larry Goddard

Default Cobra Trailer Spare Tire mount failure

"Barny" wrote in message
:

Just a warning to check your trailer spare before a trip and along the
way at gas stops. My 1998 trailer spare tire mount broke on a highway
trip. The wheel is mounted on the frame that holds the glider nose in
place. Two 8mm bolts welded to the nose cone frame hold the wheel to
the frame. One bolt sheared and the other broke away at one of the
welds. I was extremely lucky that the wheel didn't go through the
canopy or damage a wing. The wheel was dangling on the remaining bolt
with the broken weld, the tire tread was 5mm from the wing. It didn't
touch the wing or canopy, so I was "spared" a horrific tragedy.
I had a small shop weld two new 8mm bolts in place. I then added a
third mount to the Cobra design to keep the wheel from rocking on the
existing mount. I suspect the wheel weight rocking caused the
failure. The third leg is very easy to make and install yourself.
Use a small metal bar from a home improvement store, two bolts,
washers and nuts. Photos of the broken mount and new third leg can be
seen he
http://www.flickr.com/photos/brucebarnard/

Do you ever use a motorhome to pull the trailer? I have known of
another one that failed which had been pulled almost exclusively by a
motorhome with its significantly greater tossing about of the trailer.

Larry