Old September 8th 15, 02:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ND

Default How do we inspire pilots to truly take up cross country soaring ?

On Saturday, August 29, 2015 at 12:12:20 PM UTC-4, son_of_flubber wrote:
On Saturday, August 29, 2015 at 11:51:06 AM UTC-4, kirk.stant wrote:

Zero Macready? Really? May I suggest you read up a little more on the theory and practice of Macready settings. Reichman is good, also John Cochrane's articles at http://faculty.chicagobooth.edu/john...ring/index.htm

I understand that Zero Macready is totally wimpy, not flying XC, but it gives me a good chance of not landing out, and that is my priority. Having lots of fun though.

What he's saying is that it's fine to fly zero MacCready speed, as long as that's not the setting you have input in the box. you want to have something like 2-4 MacCready in the box, and then fly slower than what it's suggesting. that's what gives you an altitude margin.

I watched a kid scrape in realllly low on a final glide and basically do a straight in once, because he input zero maccready then flew 70knots all the way home. he was briefed on maccready after landing.