Old September 8th 15, 04:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

Default How do we inspire pilots to truly take up cross country soaring ?

On Tuesday, September 8, 2015 at 6:03:21 PM UTC+3, Dan Marotta wrote:
Where are you?

On 9/8/2015 1:09 AM, Bruce Hoult wrote:

On Tuesday, September 8, 2015 at 3:39:08 AM UTC+3, David Hirst wrote:

If numbers are increasing then why on earth would you train in 2-33's? Hell, I don't know why you do it NOW -- most of the rest of the world has been training in glass for several decades.

In a lot of the world, including clubs in NZ, numbers are static or declining. This means that the fixed costs per head are increasing; a big lump of that is insurance and maintenance. Clubs with older non-glass gliders (i.e. Puchatek, ASK13, Ka7, 2-33) have much lower insurance costs and the gliders are (relatively) cheap to repair. This keeps the smaller clubs in the black - THAT's why clubs keep training in older gliders.

Looking at the annual accounts, insurance on the DG1000s isn't even close to being a major factor.

It's the tow plane that eats all the money. And next is the rent for the land our clubhouse and hangars sit on and the landing fees and control tower fees. Those are 10x bigger than the glider insurance.

We're in the process of moving to an airfield we'll own ourselves -- or at least have a 99 year lease on -- with 2 km of space to play in. And we're getting a brand new european winch. That and new buildings are costing a bit up front, but hopefully will reduce the costs in future.

Wrong question :-)

I've been in Moscow for the last four months and for probably the next couple of years.

My gliding club, which I was writing about above, is in New Zealand.