Old May 22nd 17, 04:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

Default Anyone flown a SHK-1?

On Sunday, May 21, 2017 at 5:40:06 PM UTC-5, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Sun, 21 May 2017 13:39:31 -0700, Bruce Hoult wrote:

When someone says "the first Cirrus was essentially a glass SHK, the
prototype inherited the V-tail, the production versions went over to the
conventional tail-plane and elevator" I tend to the assumption they're
talking about "early" ones -- which are the vast majority of examples in
NZ.

Understood: apparently only the first prototype had a V-tail, so I'd
expect the "early" Cirruses in NZ to be T-tailed with all flying tails.

I also know that the first production Std Cirrii had 1.5 degrees washout
on the wing and were a bit prone to tip stalling and spinning. Later Std
Cirrii had 3 degrees of washout which, apparently cost them some
performance but killed the tip stalling tendency, but I have no idea what
Wrk.Nr this change applied to. It would be interesting to know which
group most NZ-registered Std Cirri fall in.

I've heard it said that Std Cirri dominated Club Class until the ones
with 1.5 degrees of washout had all been broken and that after that Std
Libelles took over. Make what you will of that!

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

What Scott said, and then some. Martin, I think you have confused the Cirrus (17.74 meter) with the Std Cirrus (15 meter).

Also,to imply the Cirrus is "basically a fiberglass SHK" is comparable to saying "the Corvette is just a fiberglass body on a Monte Carlo." Two ENTIRELY different sailplanes. The ONLY similarity is that the prototype Cirrus had an SHK tail on it. Different wing span, airfoil sections and aspect ratios. different cockpit layout and geometry. They came from the same manufacturer, but other than that...

Just my 2 cents worth,
Steve Leonard