Old August 20th 18, 03:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter F[_2_]

Default Advice re. Nimbus 3 OR 4Dt?

Each point in turn...

A high performance 2-seater *is* a nice idea

There's a reason why the N3D / N4D / ASH25 sell for not a lot of money.
It's the Duo Discus, a glider that proved a high performance 2-seater could
actually be nice to fly.
Apart from straight line best L/D the Duo beats the old open ships in every
respect.

Difficult to fly - No
Unpleasant - Fairly

Loss of control - If you point a heavy, slippery glider with very long
wings straight down it's gonna get very quick very quick.

Difficult to rig no, heavy yes.

Maintenance issues, not really

Insurance for a 70,000 Euro 2-Seater will probably be less tha a 150,000
Euro single seater.

Should be no problems with winching N3D / N4D / ASH / Duo with modern
powerful winches

PF

At 11:22 20 August 2018, John McLaughlin wrote:
I'm just coming back into gliding after a long time grounded and I'm
looking to buy a glider over the winter. A two seater seems a nice idea

an

the Nimbus seems to be a lot of glider for the money.

Are they in any way difficult or unpleasant to fly? I know there have bee

structural failures due to loss of control.

Are they difficult or heavy to rig?

Maintenance issues? Airframe life issues?

How much would insurance typically cost - a two seater has to cost more
than a single seater?

Is winch launching unwise? Is it best to stick to a tarmac runway?

Any advice greatly appreciated, thanks.