Old March 21st 20, 10:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BillT

Default Solo 2350D won't start

On Sunday, March 22, 2020 at 6:51:13 AM UTC+11, wrote:
I believe the SH gliders ship with a yellow strap that is wrapped around the propeller hub. Lak used a cord, but the process is basically the same.

Only to be attempted with the utmost care and always with the wings attached....

https://youtu.be/C0UJtqhZJMo

Thanks to all who responded. For those not familiar with the Solo 2350D, the following should help. The engine is windmill started in flight. There is an adaptor on the prop hub to enable an electric drill to be used to start the engine – I assume this is for factory testing. Thanks for the video showing the strap method, but I’ve been advised not to try this. The Duo has two fuel pumps – a pilot activated electric Facet, located under the rear seat & a vacumn diaphragm on the pilon under the engine. There is no throttle – when it starts it runs at full power. Fuel used is premium unleaded (98) which has no ethanol. The engine has a cutout function which occurs if the revs exceed 6500rpm – it cuts back in once the revs drop below 6500. Keeping the airspeed at 50 – 55Kts prevents over revving.
What I’ve done so far. Checked the Facet for fuel flow & it’s ok. Pumped 10 L of fuel from the tank in 12 minutes, so tank venting is ok. When starting the engine the electric pump is used until the engine starts & then the diaphragm pump takes over. I haven’t checked the diaphragm pump but will try the syringe method. SH advise this pump is no longer manufactured & an overhaul kit is not available. These pumps were also used on outboard motors & there are aftermarket overhaul kits available eg.. https://www.westmarine.com/buy/sierr...38616--1764349 https://www.westmarine.com/buy/sierr...393103--210893
If any one has used one of these, please me know. SH are now supplying an alternate pump which I believe is a Mikuni. Also can anyone advise what the pump pressure should be?
I’ve also stripped & cleaned both carby’s – no sign of any problems, but I intend to order new gaskets & diaphragms. This problem arose soon after the annual inspection, during which both NGK spark plugs were replaced. I’ll fit two new plugs in case one is faulty. And I’ll pull the seat pan to ensure there are no kinks in the fuel line. Regards, Bill