Old February 3rd 19, 03:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Power rating -- looking for regulatory guidance

On Saturday, February 2, 2019 at 1:25:06 PM UTC-5, John Cochrane wrote:

John,

I am doing the same thing. I am taking power lessons now. I want to get a tailwheel endorsement and become a tow pilot some day. I am going to solo in power soon and wanted to know how to log time. I ended up calling AOPA Pilot info center.

For rated glider pilot learning Airplane SEL, you are NOT a student pilot.
Dual time is NOT PIC because it is a different category that you are not rated for.
Solo time IS PIC because you are NOT a student (and you are sole manipulator of controls). AOPA referred me to AC 61.65H endorsement A.72. this is the endorsement language that the instructor should use instead of what they normally used for a student:

A.72 To act as pilot in command of an aircraft in solo operations when the pilot does not hold an appropriate category/class rating: § 61.31(d)(2). I certify that [First name, MI, Last name] has received the training as required by § 61.31(d)(2) to serve as a pilot in command in a [specific category and class] of aircraft. I have determined that [he or she] is prepared to solo that [make and model] aircraft. Limitations: [optional].

also interesting to me:

A.71 To act as pilot in command in a tailwheel airplane: § 61.31(i). This endorsement may be given in a sport pilot aircraft by a sport pilot instructor, or in an airplane by a flight instructor with a rating other than a sport pilot rating. I certify that [First name, MI, Last name], [grade of pilot certificate], [certificate number], has received the required training of § 61.31(i) in a [make and model] of tailwheel airplane. I have determined that [he or she] is proficient in the operation of a tailwheel airplane.

regards
Chris