Old August 5th 03, 03:33 AM
Walt BJ

Just before I retired I spent about 3 years as a reserve Forces
Advisor in the 31TFW working with the Baltimore, Syracuse, WashDC and
Puerto ZRico ANG plus the Reserve unit at Homestead AFB. I was
extremely impressed with what selective retention and stable
assignments did in raising the level of performance. I was curious as
to whether a privately contracted 'Blue Force' Fighter Wing would be
viable. I didn't do a lot more than 'back of the envelope' but it
convinced me that with the exception of procuring aircraft AGE weapons
and fuel the idea was feasible, since a large savings in manpower and
training FNGs and non-necessity of 'tail' manning and facilities would
eventuate.
Ed mentioned the TDYs nowadays as people return from overseas. This
was a huge factor in the loss of TAC pilots back in the 60s. Six
months in Europe, Far East or Turkey and as soon as they got back home
it was off to exercises, etc. Lots of Mommas said "It's the USAF or
me, baby, make your choice." A lot of good guys voted with their feet
.. . . . And after a year, remote, I can affirm that home is where they
want to be. Been there, done that.
Walt BJ