Old April 8th 04, 08:59 AM
Ramy Yanetz

I think the reasons people skip PCC or doing it wrong is due to the fact
that there is no consistent method and some of the methods suggested are way
too much hassle such as putting another pilot in the cockpit instead of
asking the nearest person to hold the controls. Also the suggestion that the
PIC must seat IN the cockpit doesn't make sense, since you can't see the
controls from the cockpit. Lets Keep it simple! The more complicated we make
it the less will comply. The same results can be achieved by the PIC moving
the stick while any bystander can hold the controls. See comments below.

Ramy

"Herbert Kilian" wrote in message
om...
Right on Vaughn, there seems to be an 'Atlantic Divide' regarding the
issue you are making. I've been instructed and have practiced doing
the PCC the way Jim Vincent and you explain. I've voiced concerns
about the US practice at many occasions such as daily safety briefings
during contests. Here are again the points that make me favor putting
the PIC at the control surfaces with an assistant at or better inside
the cockpit:

1. Pilot can observe the amount and direction of deflection at full
stick travel AT THE CONTROL SURFACE

The same observation can be done when standing near the cocpit.

2. PIC can determine amount of play at full deflection

Better determining amount of play at the stick when the assistant holding
the control surface at full deflection.

3. He/she can apply a specific force to the controls while the
assistant holds (locks) the stick or brake handle at middle and end of
travel

PIC can ask the assistant to apply more or less force.

4. This should be done during the outside assembly check while cirling
the glider counterclockwise BY THE PILOT

This should be done before or after the PCC according to your checklist.
Trying to do all at once is risking forgetting an item.

5. If you don't have a trusted assistant to move the controls, go find
or train one. There should be at least a tow pilot or a wing runner
at hand, nothing wrong with asking your spouse.

My spouse wouldn't even reach the rudder pedals. Should I readjust the
pedals for her or should I skip the rudder? Training one or asking the tow
pilot to leave the tow plane is not an option.

6. I would trust an assistant much more with moving the stick/controls
than having him handle the control surfaces, where is the bigger risk
for damage?

The biggest risk is to put a non pilot in the cocpit. He/she may retract the
gear instead of the spoilers!

7. Kill two birds with one stone, it is very natural to move around
the glider sliding your hands over leading and trailing edges,
checking connectors, try moving the hor. stab, checking winglets and
so much more between doing the PCC tasks. At the end of the roundtrip
I am quite certain that the ship is ready to go.

Again, this should be done separatly and not simultaniously.

Let's discuss this some more. We have here a classic situation where
reason should prevail in determining which of two methods is the best
to find and fix assembly and other problems.

I would like to hear arguments against doing a PCC the simple way - PIC
standing outside the cockpit moving stick and rudder and observing the
controls while the assistant is holding the control surfaces.
Again, the simpler it is the more likely it will be done.

Herb, J7

As the PIC, I want
to be in charge of the force put on the control surface and I want to

see,
hear, smell, feel that control surface through its entire movement.

That
means that my assistant is moving the stick and I am walking around the
glider touching the control surfaces and looking at everything else.

It is more natural to feel the controls with the stick rather than at the
control surface.

I never use "up, down, left, right". I substitute "toward me" and
"away from me". Left and right are relative terms at best, and people

often
get it wrong. When you move the control stick towards a control

surface,
that surface alway goes up; move it away from the control surface and

that
surface always goes down...no ambiguity and no error!

Vaughn

The link is:
http://www.mymedtrans.com/personal.htm

--