Old December 14th 16, 02:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Luke Szczepaniak

Default 15/18m Construction and Performance?

On 12/14/2016 4:24 AM, Jim White wrote:
At 06:15 14 December 2016, Tim Taylor wrote:
Most modern 18m were optimized for 18m, but but can fly well as 15m. The
on=
ly weakness of the 18m in 15m is they are heavy. Most are 100 to 150
pounds=
heavier than a pure 15m glider. The 29 does well in locations with
strong=
er conditions, but suffers on very weak days. The motor versions are at

=
significant disadvantage in lighter lift. On the other side they do
bette=
r in very strong conditions with significant cloud streets. =20

It will be interesting to see the next generation of 18m and 15m gliders.

=
=20

I still prefer a true 15m glider with empty weights at 520 to 560 pounds
ov=
er the much heavier wings of the 18/15m gliders.

Interesting observations Tim. I too fly a 27 against 29s at 15M
competitions and would say that turbo-less 29 versions are at least the
same if not better than the 27 in weak conditions because of the lower wing
configuration.

However the 29 can achieve a greater weight and wing loading than the 27
for good conditions but has a greater wetted area which probably makes then
equal at high speed.

After flying my 27 vs 29's in 15m I would say that the two are virtually
identical. I agree with Jim's observations about weak weather, even
though the empty weight of the 29 is higher the extra wing area reduces
the wing loading. It probably has more to do with superior skill of the
pilots in the 29's but it makes me feel better to blame it on their
gliders ;-)

Luke Szczepaniak