Old January 23rd 11, 07:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Alan[_6_]

Default Possible remote thermal finder?

In article mpcehand writes:
On Jan 21, 6:16=A0pm, John Cochrane
wrote:
On Jan 21, 2:04=A0pm, bildan wrote:

http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/on...lephoto-lens-s...

Yes! It's always struck me that a little signal processing on the
shimmer you see in telephoto lenses might work to show thermals.
A bit of signal processing would also show birds, gliders, cornstalks,
cu development, and other stuff that the naked eye tends to miss.
Darn day job...

John Cochrane

Hmmm. I had a different idea of how a remote thermal finder might be made,
but no time to work on it, as it would take a bunch of effort to learn the
details of actual implementation to try it.

The idea of a remote thermal finder is already being worked on by a
very distinguished scientist who lives and fly's @ the best soaring
center on the planet earth.
My money is on him.

Why would he be the one to do it? If the soaring is so good there, he
probably has no trouble finding lift.

My money would be on someone who flys in a marginal area, who needs
a thermal finder.

Alan