Old May 11th 18, 01:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Default Iran and GPS etc

They have "promised" not to turn off.

On Thursday, May 10, 2018 at 4:50:19 PM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
Don't forget that GPS is a US military system.Â* It was not developed at
great tax payer expense just for the pleasure of a few glider pilots,
though I think it's terrific.Â* They can turn it off to us any time they
want.

On 5/10/2018 12:21 PM, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
Not commenting on this general thread.......
Not commenting on the sometimes GPS accuracy in the US.
Example......decades ago........seeing a track that went from Harris Hill to Europe and back.....in a few seconds. This while the glider and tracker were sitting on the grid at HHSC.......
I was there.
I saw the trace.
Pretty much NO WAY any government could cover that ground in that time.
I believe it was called, "military dithering" of the signal, because, government.

--
Dan, 5J