Old December 8th 06, 07:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
A Lieberma

Default IFR Cancellation Question

Newps wrote in
:

Approach can do both. It depends on the service they are able to
provide.

For VFR handling, I would agree with the above, though in my neck of the
woods, I have never heard approach tell VFR traffic to squawk VFR and
expect them to contact tower on their own.

For IFR handling, approach would hold me to tower frequency and
cancellation of IFR is terminated once wheels touch terra firma is what I
was lead to believe. Surely they wouldn't (or couldn't) terminate radar
services before having me contact tower at a controlled airport?

In my case originally posted, no tower was involved, as I was landing at
KMBO which is an uncontrolled airport.

Allen