Old December 21st 04, 03:02 PM
C Kingsbury

Try flying a tight pattern when you're #7 following a Learjet. At a very
busy field you often have no choice. Up here in Boston you'll often find
yourself on extended downwind for Rwy 29 at Bedford, which means you need to
stay down low in order to remain under Logan's Class B. No big towers at
pattern altitude, though.

"Mackfly" wrote in message
And no one spoke to the value of VFR pilots flying tighter patterns. I

see
single engine planes flying patterns like they are 707s. Tight patterns

work
for airplanes just like they do for sailplanes. If a pilot needs more

time to
think then maybe he should think about golf or fishing! When I learned to

fly,
back in 62 we flew the pattern in close. I still do, be it an airplane or
sailplane. A tower a mile off the airport would leave me at least a 1/2

mile
clear of it. No problem. When doing my tailwheel training the CFI took

me to
a private strip that required you to fly "around" a tower on final. It's

all
see and avoid. Mac