Old October 14th 03, 09:25 PM

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

wrote in message

Did it all the time departing ABQ in order to climb close to, and parallel
to mountainous terrain, on a nice, clear day. ABQ departure would not

vector
below the MVA because of the nature of the terrain and its proximity. It

was
either request the VFR climb or fly a (then) SID that went out of the way.

You don't need vectors or a SID or a VFR climb on a nice, clear day for
terrain avoidance, just an altitude at or above the MVA.

True. Nonetheless, our ops specs required that we always be on an IFR flight
plan. So, regardless of the weather, ABQ TRANCON would assign the SID and our
compliance with it was mandatory, even on a nice, clear day, unless we requested
a VFR climb to at least MVA.