Old January 4th 07, 08:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mxsmanic

Default Confusion about when it's my navigation, and when it's ATC

bdl writes:

Is the FMC flying or are you?

When the FMS is on, it flies the plane. More specifically, the FMC
provides data to the flight director, and the autopilot then executes
the instructions from the flight director. For most of the flight,
you don't have to do anything, as the FMC will manage climb, cruise,
descent, and (with a few buttons) autolanding.

You can enable or disable the FMC wholly or partially, depending on
your requirements. You can shut it off completely and just use the
MCP (the autopilot panel on the glare shield) to manage the flight
director and the autopilot. You can wholly or partially shut that
down, too. You can also turn off the autopilot and just fly the
aircraft by hand, either following the flight director's instructions,
or entirely on your own.

The autopilot/FMS controls pitch, roll, and throttle, so everything is
covered. You have a lot of flexibility in choosing how much you want
to do automatically, and how much you want to do by hand.

In the real world, the FMS handles most of each flight, mainly because
that provides the best fuel economy and least wear and tear on the
aircraft (because the FMS is programmed to optimize those by default).

I'm not an airline pilot, so I'll go
ahead and ask the question (please real world answers only) is the FMC
the boss or is the pilot?

The pilot is the boss. The FMS is no more in control than an
autopilot. It flies the plane when you tell it to, but it stops when
you tell it to stop.

If the FMC says optimal is such and such, but ATC says do this,
doesn't the airline pilot do what ATC says?

From the discussion here, apparently ATC is in control. If the FMS
doesn't agree, you override the FMS.

I always assumed that a FMS in a modern airliner was just a souped up
version of my Garmin 430. I.e. it has a plan, but what I get is ALWAYS
different. Even when I try to "guess" ahead of time.

It's a very, very souped up version of a Garmin 430, but the basic
idea is the same. And the results can vary because real-world
conditions (such as winds aloft) can vary. But an FMS is much better
at executing the plan than a Garmin 430.

For example, an FMS knows that you must not exceed 250 kts below
10,000 feet MSL, and will respect that restriction. A less
sophisticated automation system doesn't know this. Indeed, the
automation used in smaller aircraft doesn't pay any attention to speed
or throttle at all.

Yet another difference between your simulated world and the real world,
huh?

Yes.

Does the lack of heavy traffic make you a better simulated pilot?

Over the long run, I don't think it makes any difference, any more
than it does in the real world. It's the product of time and traffic
that counts.

Two words, "Say again"

Yeah, but after saying this once or twice, I begin to feel like a
nuisance.

If you want to get a glimpse into real world ATC, take a look at Don
Brown's columns at Avweb
(http://www.avweb.com/news/sayagain/193881-1.html)

I'll take a look.