Old July 8th 03, 11:49 PM
Steve House

Assuming the problems reported are legit, this seems to indicate a quality
assurance issue with the manufacturer. I was just looking over the
Lightspeed web site and didn't see any indication that their headsets were
TSO'd. Now I will be the first to admit I'm a newby so I my impressions may
be in error and as such take anything I say with a grain of salt but my
understanding of what TSO means is that 1: the product was type accepted,
passed testing to insure that it did what it was supposed to and was
compatible with and did not interact negatively with the other aircraft
systems, and 2: that the manufacturer has quality assurance programs in
effect that would insure all products coming off the line met the same
performance standards as the samples submitted for approval. I may be
wrong, but it seems to me to be foolish to buy non-TSO'ed equipment for
permanent aircraft installation or for use by the PIC or FO if there is one.
If my understanding of the QA issues regarding TSO is correct, this would
certainly increase the price of the product because testing of each and
every unit coming off the line is certainly going to be more expensive than
testing randomly selected samples. Because of the unforgiving nature of
aviation, uncertainty of product quality where safety of flight is concerned
is something I personally can't afford at any price and battery packs that
spontaneously burst into flame certainly seem to me to be a safety issue,
even if they're carried enclosed in fire resistant pouches.

"Dennis O'Connor" wrote in message
LS owners seem to fall into two groups... Those who have never had any
problem over a number of years of continuous use, and those who seem to
lurch from crises to crises... Strange...

Denny

"Justin Case" wrote in message
Lightspeed seems to know everything about all of their problems and
they all seem infrequent. Just too many infrequent problems for me.