Old August 9th 04, 10:33 PM
Tony Cox

"Shane" wrote in message
I live in the UK and am considering a trip from the San Diego area to Las
Vegas at the end of the year.

I'm yet to get my hands on the charts, and being low on hours I was
wondering if anyone had any advice on how easy the trip would be to make.
or any other relevant advice they could share with me.

Late September through December is the best time of the
year to fly in the Vegas area. The weather will generally be
clear, the winds tame, and temperatures cool. San Diego area
is occasionally fogged in early in the am, but it isn't too bad
later in the year.

The trip is pretty easy, but you'll need to weave your way
around a few restricted areas. I usually fly via Thermal and
Twenty nine palms; pretty much a straight shot. The highest
terrain is no more than about 6000. Remember, it gets quite
cold up high in the winter, so make sure your plane has a good
heater.

It's also bleak out there in the desert, so file a flight plan and
take supplies to survive a night with temps in the 30's if you
have to put down. South of Goffs VOR, your nearest
airport will be over 50 miles away.

McCarran is a rip for small planes; use VGT or HND.