Old June 23rd 05, 03:20 AM
COLIN LAMB

Hello Patrick:

You probably already know it is possible to fly a twin engine aircraft
without a medical - or a jet? Or fly at 30,000 feet?

Yes, it is possible if you have a self-launch glider rating. I have such a
rating - and an aircraft that allows pilots to fly without a medical. It is
called a motorglider. I do have a medical and a SEL - but if you get a
glider rating with a self launch endorsement, you can fly a number of
different motorgliders. You can use them as regular airplanes. Some are
tail-draggers, some are tricycle gear and some are single wheel with
outriggers when the wing drops. Some go as fast as about 130. One of the
companies is coming out with a single engine jet version. There is a pilot
who has modified a glider with twin jet engines. It is aerobatic. Not bad
for not needing a medical.

I suppose the thinking is that if a motorglider pilot flying a 1700 pound
motorglider has a heart attack and dies, he will not kill as many people as
a pilot flying a Cessna 150 who has a heart attack, or a pilot who is flying
a sport certified plane, who has a bad heart but does not need to take a
physical. Makes a lot of sense.

I think the weight limit is about 1800 pounds and it needs long wings and be
certified as a glider. They fly great and are very efficient. About the
only down side is on the ground as many have wings longer than 50 feet. Some
have folding wings, for hanger storage.

As for instruments, I have CAS, Comm and Mode C transponder in the
motorglider.

And, with a motorglider, and not being instrument rated, you can get in a
mountain wave, shut the motor down. grab some oxygen get a prior wave
clearance and soar to 30,000 feet or more. In essence, the sky is the
limit. All without a medical.

Good luck, Colin