Old June 17th 08, 03:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval
Leadfoot[_3_]

Default GIVEN CURRENT WARS, F-35s ARE BETTER CHOICE THAN MORE F-22As

"Zombywoof" wrote in message
On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 09:29:42 -0400, Tiger
wrote:

Dan wrote:
Zombywoof wrote:

On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 00:43:48 -0500, Dan wrote:

Raymond O'Hara wrote:
snip

Well, the 33rd TFW took out 16 Iraqi MiGs that weren't rolling over or
fleeing. They may not have been anywhere near top notch, but those 16 at
least did put up a fight.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

While not on the O'hara side of the fence, can we aggree more spending
on a f22 means a delay in the F35 program? Also that increasing the
number beyond 183 in the current budget environment means other Air
force programs will robbed to pay for them?

I've not read where there is a proposal to expand beyond the current
project 183, but I don't follow things as closely as I once did.

One of the things that has to be remembered that all USAF kills were
by F-15C's, the very aircraft that the F-22 is slated to replace. The
very first F-16 air-to-air kill was on 27 December 1992, when a F-16D
shot down an Iraqi MiG-25 in UN-restricted airspace over southern Iraq
with an AIM-120 AMRAAM.

First USAF F-16 kill, not first F-16 kill

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-16#Op...lee_.281982.29

Again this was the first USAF F-16 kill since the F-16 was introduced.
So exactly how many projected air-to-air kills do you think the F-35
will have, or at least chances to have? Air Superiority is NOT its
projected "primary" role. The F-22 & F-35 are designed to work in
Tandem with the F-35 performing the current F-16 & A-10 missions.
Moderation is for monks."