Old June 7th 15, 03:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Debunking Glider Spoiler Turns Causing Spin Thinking

Not getting steamed up. Only trying to lighten up the conversation and
remind the newer guys that theory is great in the classroom but there's
no time in flight to plan the minute details of operating the flight
controls. I still recall how liberating it was the first time I flew
the aircraft without having to think about how to move the controls to
get the desired reaction. After that it was more like dancing than like
digging a ditch.

But to answer directly - yes, in a steeply banked turn in a glider (at
least in mine) I can hold the stick at the aft stop without stalling. I
never do that during the final turn, by the way...

On 6/7/2015 7:47 AM, wrote:
On Saturday, June 6, 2015 at 9:42:10 AM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
When I deploy the boards, I
also operate the flight controls to make the flight path do what I
want.

Wouldn't it be analogous to say that when I bank the glider, I also operate the flight controls to make the flight path do what I want, so there's no significance to the fact that I have to get the stick way aft to reach the stall angle-of-attack while steeply banked?

I'm having a little trouble understanding why people are getting steamed up...

Dan Marotta