Old November 22nd 05, 09:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Just when I thought I'd heard it all:-)

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
Aren't those plug doors, and as such un-openable when the plane is
pressurized unless you're stronger than Superman?

That's certainly the theory. Assuming a 5'x2' door (I know that's not the
actual measurement, but it's a nice conservative estimate), that's 1440
square inches. Assuming a 5 psi pressure differential, that's 7200 pounds
of force, much greater than any human can provide.

That assumes no mechanical leverage, of course. I don't know the details,
but just from watching the door mechanism in use, it appears that there's
*some* leverage available. But enough to allow a single human to overcome
the force required? Seems unlikely.

Even so, it doesn't seem as though it'd be a good policy to allow passengers
to go around messing with the aircraft doors.

I'm curious though...did this happen again? Or are we just rehashing the
event that happens months ago?

Pete