Old December 21st 05, 10:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Intersting tidbit about the Miami seaplane crash and fuel reserves

"xyzzy" wrote in message
oups.com...
from: http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/12/19/miami.crash.ap/

"One of its airplanes was hijacked to Cuba in 1974. Since then, the
company has had a policy of not carrying enough fuel to reach Havana."

Now Havana is not that far from Miami. I have a hard time believing
they would be within legal IFR (or even VFR) reserves if they really
take off without enough fuel to reach Havana. I wonder if they were
just saying that to discourage hijackers?

I'm not so sure they file IFR very often.

--
Scott