Old July 5th 04, 03:32 PM
Nathan Young

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 21:56:22 GMT, "Stuart King"
wrote:

Chicagoans...please advise ...

What about flying from North to South along the shore.
Then cross between Midway and O'Hare at 1500MSL.

Then continue south, after flipping the bird to Mayor Dick Daley.

Is this the way, or is there something like the Hudson river VFR corridor ?

Never done it. I fly the lakeshore occasionally, but usually just go
N-S, turn around and head back S-N.

In regards to the proposed route, it looks feasible from an airspace
standpoint, and I believe the traffic copters use this as a
'thoroughfare'. However, the areas between ORD and MDW have a dense
population, and given an engine out, there would be few options @
1500MSL, which is only 8-900AGL in most of this area. This also would
conflict with FAR 91.119(b) (1000AGL over congested areas).

The ORD airspace is actually 1900MSL, so you could fly at 1899ft to
provide more glide range and 91.119(b) clearance.

GA planes flying low to the ground and in close proximity to the city
are not received well these days, so I definitely would not do this
without talking to ORD approach and having a squawk. It would be bad
to get a fighter escort out of this...

The city has a number of skyscrapers along the lakeshore, which is the
entrypoint for the proposed route. Make sure to keep well clear of
them...

And last, there are a few antenna 1500 MSL on the West side of ORD
(nearing DPA), so be careful of that.

-Nathan