Old September 6th 04, 10:30 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Tom Cervo" wrote in message

Then why is the offer still posted?

http://www.doonesbury.com/strip/bush_guard.html

Same reason many outdated webpages are still available.

Apparently Calhoun's dates did not jibe with the dates that Bush claims to
have been in Alabama, and the money was never paid.
Maybe he mistook The Kingfish for GWB.

Or maybe he's just a bit fuzzy on the dates after more than thirty years.

I can clearly remember many things from throughout my life that I can't pin
down to a specific date. A canoe trip as a Boy Scout, for example. It was
on the Oconto River. We came upon same fast water and hit a submerged tree,
capsizing us. Had to dry out all our gear at our campsite in Suring. I can
remember the trip, but I can't remember the date. It would have been in the
summer of 1970 or 1971.

Why should it be any different with Calhoun? He served in the Alabama ANG a
long time, briefly alongside George Bush. He remembers him, they shared an
office, sometimes they dined together. So what if he got the dates wrong?
Did Trudeau expect a witness to present a diary, with entries like "7/8/72 -
Dined today with George W. Bush. Had the special. Got gas."? If he'd had
that kind of detail Trudeau would have claimed it was a fabrication, and
probably have been right!