Old May 8th 04, 06:58 PM
Jim Doyle

"Cub Driver" wrote in message

If you were going to name a couple of the greatest writers about
military aviation, who would they be?

I want personal recollections, not history. I'd like names that large
numbers of people would recognize.

For personal recollections: 'Chickenhawk' by Robert Mason is awe-inspiring.

It's about his year as a Heuy pilot in Vietnam ('66 I think) - don't know if
I'd classify him as one of the great writers, but it's very well written. If
you like the perfect balance between the historical and human sides of
military aviation/warfare it'll be the right book for you.

Antoine de St Exupery? (Can't stand him, personally, but he seems
beloved)

Ernest Gahn? (or was he a civilian writer only?)

Personally, I think of Don Lopez (Into the Teeth of the Tiger) but I'm
not sure how well known he is to the general public.

Thanks for your input!

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

The Warbird's Forum