Old September 9th 05, 02:36 AM
Steve Foley

I was troubleshooting an electrical problem with my 1966 Cherokee, and
wanted to try the voltage regulator. I figured I could pick up an automotive
one for testing, and buy a PMAd one if that turned out to fix it.

The manual speaks of a "Chrysler Style" regulator, so I drove over to NAPA
and said I needed a voltage regulator for a 1966 Chrysler. The store manager
walks down the aisle, pulls one out and says "look like this?" I replied,
"No, smaller". The next one was a perfect match. I paid hum $35 and went on
my merry way. Turns out the probmes WAS the regulator, so I called for a
Piper one. They wanted $350 for it. I ended up buying a Zeftronics for $100.

So a few days later, the NAPA manager is working on his Warrior and says
"Did that regulator work out?" I said "Yup - that was the problem. I just
ordered a Zeftronics". He took the NAPA one out of my toolbox, returned it,
and came back with $35.00.

"Ron Wanttaja" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 13:47:19 -0500, "Gig 601XL Builder"

wr.giacona@coxDOTnet
wrote:

"abripl" wrote in message
roups.com...
In some instances I have had refusal to sell me parts from general
vendors if I tell them it was for aircraft use. One refused to sell me
a 1000lb digital weigh scale and another mfg refused to sell me a
suspension spring. They don't understand the difference between
certified and experimental aircraft. Now I simply tell them it is for a
home garage built off-road vehicle (really off-road).

DO the places you purchase items from regularly ask you what you are

using
them for?

I get asked that on occasion. Back in July, when I was buying aluminum

for the
in-panel mount for my ICOM handheld, I got asked if my purchase was for an
aircraft. There's a lot more danger if you have a sample part...either

the
hardware guy will look at it quizzically and ask, "Where is that from," or
experienced counter guys will recognize it. The latter happened when I

took one
of my Goodyear brake pads to the local brake reliner to pick up some raw
material to make my own pads, and when I took my Continental's generator

to the
local electrical shop.

Ron Wanttaja