Old September 9th 05, 05:49 AM
Ron Wanttaja

John Ammeter wrote:
Don't you buy your parts from the National Aviation Parts
Association???? AKA "NAPA"??

I actually tried that first, for the brake pads. I figured I'd buy a set of
disk brake pads that had enough area and were the right thickness as the
Goodyears needed. The guy at NAPA looked at me weird, when I asked to look at a
selection of pads, but did ask what it was for.

The best weird look I got was at Lowes Aerospace a couple of years back. My Fly
Baby's fuel tank filler sticks up through the turtledeck forward of the cockpit.
There was a stepped grommet that fit exactly around the neck that not only
trimmed up the hole in the turtledeck metal but kept spilled fuel from entering
the cockpit area through the hole.

Anyway, the grommet was bad and I was looking all over for a replacement. I
finally found it. IIRC, it was called something like a "Spud Grommet." It is
used on toilets.

I don't think the Lowes' guy was that worried I was installing it on an
airplane, but he did look odd when I asked what other colors it came in....

Ron Wanttaja