Old July 9th 03, 05:57 PM
Ron Natalie

"BJen" wrote in message ...

Where does it say he [sic] does?

FAR 91.113 defines where it applies, and there's no
exception that says that "Converging" can't occur at low
altitudes.

It doesn't. But it explicitly gives landing aircraft preference. You
need to read the FAR as a complete statement rather than taking
one without the context of the larger rule it is in.

If the glider
has the lower altitude, doesn't he actually have the right-of-way?

Not if he's not landing.

But I am landing. It's being forced on me, which makes it
different from the option that an airplane has, but it is a
landing nonetheless.

"He" here refers to the aircraft you are causing an hazard to, not you.
And no you are not landing by your own admission, you're noodling
around the airport environment trying to decide whether you can safely
land or not. Until you make up your freaking mind, stay out of the
way of other landing traffic which HAS THE RIGHT OF WAY.

"Noodling around for lift" is a bit harsh. I'm a pilot in
distress who is there because it's the only safe place for
me as I'm forced to lower altitudes.

If you're in distress, get your ass on the ground. You never said you
were in distress before. You're going to tell me that you are in
distress at the end of everyone of your XC flight ? Me seems to
think that you are either abusing the concept, or need to revisit your
idea of safety.