Old February 14th 21, 09:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default On line ground school

For a different type of flying, look into a gyro plane.

Dan
5J

On 2/14/21 1:22 PM, JimL wrote:
On Wednesday, February 3, 2021 at 7:23:57 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Hello all,
I am a retired airline pilot who is getting back into GA flying.
I intend to pursue a commercial add on this coming season assuming virus restrictions are lifted or changed.
Looking for an organized zoom/FaceTime type ground school geared towards people like me so I can hit the ground running when the flying opens up.
Thank you.
Brian

I'm like you, just older. I retired from the bigs in 03; and didn't touch a stick for 17 years. I was looking for something in the air that didn't need an ATP, having turned down several biz-jet jobs. So, gliders seem to fit the bill. Calling around to other pilots, I got a consensus about AZsoaring.com. They're located 40 miles south of PHX. Calling them put me immediately at ease, as the have had many pilots like us come through.

Bottom line, I went through their program (commercial add-on) in 7 days, including check-ride and about $4,500. You may do it in less time and less money. I took me forever to get passed 25 degrees of bank.

They are on a private strip, one paved rwy for tow and two desert ones for ldg. They use their own syllabus for a commercial add-on. You can stay on the field in "Camp Condor", a cute A-frame dorm style for $30 a night.

If you do decide to go this way, please set up your check with the Designee living up near Flagstaff. He's a heavy driver with lots of time and what is really necessary to know. The hardest thing for you will be 1) learning to use rudder pedals again; 2) all the different air spaces. I still don't have them all down. I much preferred the old airline airspace "there is only one, and it's mine..."
Cheers,