Old April 9th 05, 04:54 AM
Highflyer

wrote in message
oups.com...
Highflyer
The story about 'Water Landing" is about the same checklist when I was
doing SES instruction in a LA-4. I laughed at the section on insurance
forms when it says, Have you ever made a gear up landing? and my reply
was "Yes, hundreds of times."
Had a GADO inspector (does that tell you how long back that was?) come
in to inspect a minor crop dusting crash (mine). The stud duck came
into our strip with a Bonanza. Landed OK. It was a 1200' grass strip.
When he left, he taxied to the end of a one way strip and began the
take off. I ran out and waved my arms in a vigorous fashion and he
aborted the takeoff. I pointed at the powerlines and he smiled in a
bashful fashion and took off the opposite direction. The inspector who
came in next was in a Citabria and landed over the powerlines, then
proceeded to flip the airplane upside down! We never got much heat from
the GADO after that..... was in 1968, SHV GADO so they are long gone.
Ol S&B

I bought that Seabee from a guy who kept it on Lake Bistaneau. I traded him
a Stits Playmate for it.

I taught myself how to fly instruments with no gyros one morning coming out
of Marshall, Texas when I flew into a fog bank that was kind of hidden in
the trees at the end of the runway. It gets your attention when you have NO
instruments and you get whited out at 50 feet AGL. It makes a good hangar
flying story! You CAN keep the wings level with nothing but a magnetic
compass in you know your airplane and are heading south! :-)

Highflyer
Highflight Aviation Services
Pinckneyville Airport ( PJY )