Old June 16th 04, 03:47 PM
tuno

Chris,

I don't know what your budget is but if you already have the iPaq and
are running WinPilot, SeeYou Mobile or something similar, you could
just add the LX1600, which (I think) is designed primarily for use
with a PocketPC.

I've spent some time recently examining the flight computer side of
things, with some recent troubles with my LX5000 (which may soon be
resolved however, I'll know more this weekend). Most of the pilots
where I fly use SN10s, but that is not an IGC approved logger. You
already have a logger, so the SN10 may be the way to go (it's supposed
to have a superior vario).

A nice thing about having the LX5000 and my iPaq running together is
that having the map and navigation info on the iPaq saves me from
changing screens in the LX5000 as often.

One thing I do *not* like about the LX5000 is having to hook up a
laptop to it in the cockpit to upload and download tasks, TP and
airport data. You could use FlyWithCE Downloader to download flights
on the iPaq, but getting data *to* the computer requires the use of
LXe (LX's PC software), which needs improvement in the "ease of use"
department (especially for creating tasks -- LX does not provide USA
maps for LXe, but it does for Europe).

(I should note that SeeYou has a Connection Wizard which allows
uploading of tasks and turnpoints to various instruments, including
the LX/Filser lineup, but I have yet to try it with my LX5000.)

Of course, I've been talking about the LX5000, which is no longer
available new; you'd have to go with the LX7000 if you were to buy
new. I found more info he
http://www.wingsandwheels.com/page18.htm; there is a link to a good
PowerPoint presentation on the LX7000.

I hope you get some more responses on this question, as I still have a
lot to learn about the other flight computer options, beyond the SN10
and LXxxxx.

Oh and I have this question for the "how do I fill my instrument
panel" experts out the I had a simple chronometer filling one of
the 57mm holes in my panel, which I removed last weekend because I
used never it. This leaves my LX5000 (80mm), the LX5000's vario unit
(57mm), ASI (80mm), and Borgelt B-40 vario (80mm). Any suggestions on
what to do with the spare 57mm? Does anyone make a digital compass?
That's something I could use.

-tuno