Old November 25th 06, 06:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
[email protected][_1_]

Default Garmin 530 WAAS upgrade - what's involved?

Stan Prevost wrote:
"Frank Ch. Eigler" wrote in message

The antenna WILL need to be replaced.

That is consistent with my readings of the ComAnt antenna web site.
The WAAS GPS seem to require 26dB antennas, whereas plain ones make do
with 17dB ones.

- FChE

Horizon-to-horizon coverage, with 17dB gain???? And increasing their gain
will just narrow the coverage. Unless the gain figure includes some
low-noise active gain in the antenna package, ahead of the cable losses.

*** All of these antennas have amplifiers built in. They are powered
by DC on
the coax.

- Jerry Kaidor

But I have also heard from two different shops that the antennas will have
to be replaced. Haven't heard why.