Old November 27th 03, 09:05 AM
Jeff

the KX155's are great radio's , it should be easy for you to sell the extra one
unless you keep it as a spare.

your getting a 1992 bonanza for 75k ?
thats one hell of a deal, I was looking around at them just a second ago and
found a 1993 for $200k, and some 1970's ones for 130-170k - if you get it for
75k its a plane you can make money back on by the looks of other F33A's.

I paid 85k for my 1978 Turbo Arrow III then an additional 20k for the new
avionics.

Jeff
http://www.turboarrow3.com

"Tom S." wrote:

"O. Sami Saydjari" wrote:

I plan to buy my first airplane and "trade-up" in about 3-4 years. I
expect my initial investment will be around $75K. At that price, it
does not seem to be worth putting in brand new avionics to the tune of
$12-$15K (thinking specifically about a Garmin 430/MX-20 combo, or a
GX-50/MX-20 combo). At the sametime, I really would like the
situational awareness benefits of such avionics. Is it practical to
consider buying used avionics? If so, where might I get used avionics
(web site pointers, phone numbers, or email addresses would be helpful
in addition to names of places).

Many avionics shops have used gear that they replaced. Finding _current_
equipment is going to be tougher.

This place has refurbished equipment: http://www.psavionics.com/

The F33A I'm buying has a basic panel (dual KX-155's, ADF, DME, Loran,
Xpder...) which is what I want. I figure to remove the 2nd KX-155 and the
Loran and replace it with a Garmin GNS-530 ($13,150 installed)
http://www.pacific-coast-avionics.co...il.asp?id=4448.

Also we'll replace the transponder and put in a Garmin GTX-327 and the Audio
Pnael with a PSEngineering audio panal (7000B) and intercom. Then it's a
TATurbo Whirlwind (Turbo Normalization) and an oxygen system.

All in all, it's looking to be about $78K, but I expect to have this plane
for at least five to seven years. It's also a 1992 model, so it's not like
having an antique bird that's over-equipped. Putting an elaborate panel into
an antique is just going to cost a lot of money that will never hold it's
value (or so I'm led to believe).

Like anything else, make the equipment suit the mission just as you'd build
a home that suits the neighborhood.