Old December 15th 06, 08:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
boB[_2_]

Default old days

John Doe wrote:

Thanks a lot boB... It means a world of difference having someone with real
life (or even better - combat) experience giving their opinion... Sadly I
have never done anything but power recovery autos and I'm currently passing
through 550 hours (Bell206B) - so any answer I give to my students is purely
theoretical. And sometimes it's hard to be convincing Not to mention the
discussions that go on once the subject is open between my coworkers
If you or anyone else has any info on theese "nonstandard" procedures I'd be
happy to hear them out...

I agree, power recovery autos suck but if that's all that's allowed you
can still try to give the student some different situations so when the
engine actually quits they have a lot of practice completing the
immediate procedures and once in a controlled descent they will walk
away from the resulting landing.

Please take what I say with a grain of salt. I can only talk about what
my experiences were and I don't want to convey that what I did was the
cut and dried solution. I have no idea what an R22 would do with an
engine failure at 50 feet. In 25 years the only actual engine failure I
had was in an OH-13 (Bell 46). Luckily I was a student in flight school
flying instrument procedures. That was back in the days of the scruffy
old IP's. As I was flying along the nose of the aircraft kind of jerked
a little bit left. The IP told me to be easier on the pedals. The
aircraft jerked again, the IP hit my leg with his hat and just as he was
yelling, the aircraft got strangely quiet. My reaction was to go
through the emergency procedure for engine failure IMC. I barely got the
collective down before the IP, all assholes and elbows, grabbed the
controls and we set down nicely in a peanut field there in Alabama. So
my only engine failure in 25 years consisted of me watching my IP
complete a "full stop" autorotation. But I never forgot what it sounded
like when the engine decided to quit.

--

boB
copter.six