Old May 7th 08, 01:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
Ed Rasimus[_1_]

Default USAF Phantoms on deck?

On Tue, 06 May 2008 22:26:22 -0800, Bob wrote:

Around 41 years ago at Ubon debriefing, F-4C, I think a cable
engagement was one of the monthly blocks to fill in? Comes to mind
because the crews talked about how rough it was sometimes.
I take it the run out though would have been more on land than on a
carrier?

There was no periodic currency requirement for approach end barrier
engagements. It was the recommended emergency procedure for many
situtations in the F-4 and not particularly difficult compared to a
carrier landing because you could spot the landing anywhere in the
normal touchdown area prior to the cable which was usually around 2500
feet into the runway. Runout was about three to four times what a
carrier arrestment runs.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"