Old October 10th 03, 12:53 PM
john cop

"Bob Gardner" wrote in message .net...
I question the "sun-heated" part of your post. The sun heats the earth,
which in turn heats the atmosphere from the bottom up. Most ice is found in
the top one-third of any cloud.

I don't think this works with a heavy cloud deck and clear on top
where you get little sun penetration. I would think there would have
to be a warmer boundry layer at the tops. This would certainly
account for the much heavier concentration of super cooled moisture.
There was no question the really heavy icing was right at the tops -
you could hear the stuff applying itstelf.

It does take a while for ice to sublimate
off...I have picked up ice climbing through a layer out of Seattle that
didn't disappear for about 30 minutes, and this was in a Baron.

Sumblimate, yes, but I expected the stuff to fall off pretty quickly
once the temp was well above freezing. It didn't - probably took a
long time to warm the plane up.

Glad that it worked out, though.

Me too.