Old March 14th 07, 01:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
jerry wass

Default Bending longeron

Morgans wrote:
"Richard Riley" wrote

Jerry's method was -
--I bent some of the same tube by filling it with sand, bending it
around a 10" pulley that had been turned out inside to 3/8"
radius--Pulling it around with the inner race of a big ball brg that
had
used 3/4" balls--this was pressed onto a smaller brg which was bolted
a bar that pivoted on the center support of the pulley. BUT--
that's a 5" radius & you want 3"---might do it though..send ya a pic
if
your interested. wass biplane at tds dot net

So, it was almost a homebrewed commercial bender, it sounds like.

Yeah, I just happened to have the parts & a lathe--so it wasn't too much
effort---BTW the radius was more like 4" rather than the 5" I first
recalled--(two-groove pulley, used smaller one.)