Old March 22nd 07, 03:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Paul kgyy

Default Glareshield Overhaul?

On Mar 21, 5:42 pm, Mike Spera wrote:
After 13 years since recovering, my Cherokee 140 glareshield vinyl has
developed a crack that has gotten pretty ugly.

I was happy with the original (when the covering was new). I liked the
fact that it was solid and could be grabbed as a handhold.

I understand that these things have screws along the top of the
instrument panel just behind the overlays. After the screws are removed,
it is tilted up and slid out from the lip on the top fascia.

Is this correct?

Does anyone have a premade complete replacement? Or, does anyone sell
the vinyl and padding? I'll do it myself.

I ordered and received the Aircraft Door Seals unit and I am returning
it. If your plane's top fascia is deteriorating (mine is not but many
are), then this unit is for you. It replaces the glareshield and covers
the entire top fascia to the windshield. My top fascia is fine so their
unit is not at all what I expected or wanted. I'll let you know how the
return goes.

Any other alternatives?
Thanks,
Mike

Dennis Ashby makes one out of fiberglass, sort of flat black textured
on top. I have it in my Arrow. It has a lip on the front that can be
used as a hand grab, and the lip drops down enough that you can mount
a panel light strip underneath it.

I can't tell you anything about installation, sorry - was in the plane
when I bought it.