Old January 28th 04, 03:48 PM
ET

(Michael Houghton) wrote in
:

Howdy!

In article ,
ET wrote:

My wife is a teacher, and while I would love for her to earn more, if
you take her salary and divide it by number of days worked, she does
very well indeed. To compare teacher salaries per year to other
occupations leaves out the summers, holidays, etc....

...how many hours week does she work? How much time does she put in in
the evenings and weekends doing teacher work? Don't forget to factor
that into your math.

Even though she makes less than 40K, she still makes well over $200
per day that she actually works....

yours,
Michael

No, I do take that into consideration....

If a teacher is good, they will get into a rythem, using last years
material to generate next years, etc. The first few years, many hours
were spent at home working etc. Now much less. She starts at 7:45, and
ussually gets home a little after 5 (kids leave at 3:30), and has a 45min
lunch with no duty (legislated).

As I alluded earlier, I believe she deserves more, but it's not nearly as
bad a most people make it sound. Job security, summers & holiday's &
christmas off.... and pay at a level of well over 50K per year if she
were to work a schedule like the rest of us, automatic pay increases each
year, exemption from the social security system, replaced by a SOLVENT
teacher retirement system... heck just the last one is enough reason to
consider it... hrm.. maybe "I" need to consider teaching....

--
ET

"A common mistake people make when trying to design something
fools."---- Douglas Adams