Old November 5th 07, 03:07 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
David Hartung[_3_]

Default SO WHAT DID YOUR PARENTS DO IN THE BIG WAR

HEMI-Powered wrote:
David Hartung added these comments in the current discussion du
jour ...

How about your folks.....

I must have some young parents. Both my parents were still in
school. Dad graduated high school in 1948, and joined the USAF
about 1950. Dad was in the pipeline to go to Korea as an F84
pilot when the Armistice happened.

My father was over 30 when he was drafted into the Marines in mid-
1943, I was born in 1947. Many of my friends' fathers were much
younger, so it was their grandfather that fought in WWII. All of my
uncles on both sides of my family were WWII vets. One was wounded
in the Battle of the Bulge, all the others were in the Navy. My
Uncle Joe was the 20mm gunner on the bow of the USS Massachusetts.

As to Korea, my father's best friend from the Marines decided to
stay in the active reserve and tried unsuccessfully to convince my
father to join with him. Turns out that Dad was "smarter", as his
friend was called up in the early days of Korea.

My Dad's dad served in the Marines during WWI. To my knowledge, he never saw
combat. My Mom's dad was a Lutheran school principle, and my guess is that he
was on the high side of 40 in 1941. He also had, at that time, 5 kids. I'm not
certain if that had any bearing on his service status or not.