Old October 1st 03, 02:51 PM
John T

"McGregor" wrote in message
link.net

Then I call flight service and listen to the guy/girl give me this
wildly generalized briefing that usually doesn't tell me very much.

Last time I was in a flight service station (2000 I think) they were
still using IBM CRTs with textual info, so I don't know how they can
give anyone a very precise route briefing.

Coupla points here. First, all these briefers are (supposed to be, at
least) trained meteorologists. Second, FSS is (hopefully) getting real-time
updates from PIREPs to help fill in the weather picture. Third, the
Leesburg AFSS station, for one, definitely has full color radar/satellite
weather pictures available on everything from the national to the very local
level. As others said, the text-only interface is used to input flight
plans and to pull up TAFs, NOTAMs and winds aloft during my briefings.

So... is FSS just there to a) cover your ass in case of an incident
("pilot called FSS and got a full weather briefing prior to departing
into known icing/TFR/hurricane etc.") b) accept flight plans?

Remember that FSS also helps coordinate SAR efforts and helps pilots in
distress. You've also alluded to their usefulness for Flight Watch.

Of course, my experience is almost certainly skewed due to the fact that I
actually fly out of Leesburg (JYO) and have the luxury of walking up to the
counter for a personal briefing. I would probably share a lot of the
frustrations of many other users if I had to use the phone every time I
wanted to talk to them.

Even with the personal service, though, I still use DUATS more often than
not to get a "briefing" before going to the airport. That usually saves me
some surprises during my FSS briefing.

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/tknoFlyer