Old August 2nd 07, 08:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
nimbusgb

Default instruments

On 2 Aug, 19:03, Chris Reed wrote:
wrote:
Also keep in mind that there is no REQUIREMENT to change to english
units. If you're going to fly your PIK exclusively, or nearly so, you
WILL get used to the metric speeds/heights, and instruments aren't
cheap (unlike me).
Jim

I'd second that - in the UK I fly my Open Cirrus metric, and this
creates no problems at all. The only mental arithmetic is 300m = 1,000
ft (OK, 996 ft), which isn't too taxing. Airspeed is pretty foolproof,
as if you try to fly the circuit as if it were kt (e.g. at 50) you'll
have stalled before you get close to the ground.

I'd think mph/kt confusion could be potentially dangerous, but kph/kt is
a no-brainer.

It all seems to depend on your CofA examiner, some insist that you
convert to imperial, others don't. If you stand on principle and ask
your examiner to show you the relative regs you stand the chance of
ticking alienating him.

I agree that ther is NO regulation to have imperial instruments. The
only spec is that you have a compass, altimeter and ASI. Units are not
specified!