Old March 2nd 16, 03:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

Default ADS-B Compliance

On Tuesday, March 1, 2016 at 6:29:39 PM UTC-8, Andrzej Kobus wrote:
On Tuesday, March 1, 2016 at 9:14:33 PM UTC-5, 2G wrote:
On Tuesday, March 1, 2016 at 5:37:15 PM UTC-8, Andrzej Kobus wrote:
On Tuesday, March 1, 2016 at 7:45:43 PM UTC-5, 2G wrote:
I confirmed with the FAA recently what others have said here befo after 1/1/2020 glider flight at altitudes 10,000 ft and above AND above 2,500 ft AGL WILL require ADS-B out. The only good news that I got is that the FAA is actively looking at low-cost, low-power GPS sources for the GPS part of ADS-B out. This is probably because Amazon is promoting package delivery by drones, but who knows for sure.

Flying in the high desert West will effectively be grounded w/o ADS-B out compliance after 1/1/2020. I already have a Mode-S ES (extended squitter) transponder (Trig TT-21), but have struggled to find a suitable certified GPS. Yes, there are units out there, but there size would choke an elephant! Typically, they are 5.5" x 6.5" x 2.3" (give or take half an inch). I don't know about the rest of you, but fitting a monster like that into my panel just ain't happening.

Does anybody know of a smaller solution?

Thanks,

Tom

Your Trig TT-21 would not be compliant due to too low power output regardless of what position sensor is used with it.

The question concerned a complying GPS, but your comment about the TT-21 is just wrong.

Tom

Tom, I suggest you read a little before you reply next time. Here is a quote from Trig website for your information.

"Customers in the U.S. should be aware that FAA, Federal Aviation Regulations (FAR) 91.227 requires that a compliant ADS-B Out solution uses a Class 1 transponder. The TT22 is a Class 1 device and meets this requirement. The TT21 is a Class 2 device and does not meet this regulation."

Have a good day.

So it seems - yet another comment for our friends at the FAA.