Old January 14th 05, 10:28 AM
ANDREW ROBERT BREEN

In article ,
jokoch wrote:
I just have a thought of the above subject. Say you're the planner
for an RN size navy, which one would you prefer, 4 x small CVBG or 1 x
BIG CVBG? Say it's all for offensive purpose and not for homeland
defence.

If you've only got one 'carrier in the fleet then there are going
to be a /lot/ of times when it's in refit, in work-up or just plain
not where you want it to be. If any of those conditions are met then
you end up trying to project force without any 'carrier at all. Not
good.
Conventional thinking in the RN at least has been that you need three
'carriers to be sure of having at least one available at all times
(one might be refitting, one working up after refit - and one at sea).
That's why there are three Invincibles (and before that, why we had
Ark Royal, Eagle and Hermes). The hope is that the new-generation
'carriers currently being designed will have greater availability,
allowing the RN to get away with only having two of them (hmm..).
But only having one 'carrier is a no-no. It leaves you without
any 'carrier at all for far too much of the time.

--
Andy Breen ~ Interplanetary Scintillation Research Group
http://users.aber.ac.uk/azb/