Old August 6th 06, 07:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Anno v. Heimburg

Default Missing flight plans

Mark Hansen wrote:

I thought I responded to this yesterday, but I didn't see it so I'm
trying again...

FWIW, I see both of them.

The assertion I was questioning was with regard to loss of communications
only, not communications *and* radar. Your quote above seems to cover loss
of both communications *and* radar.

Your post that started this subthread went like this:
| Actually, ATC is not required to maintain communications with you, and
| if you suddenly disappear, they may assume you just went off-frequency and
| shut off your transponder (or had a power failure, etc.). I don't see why
| they would begin a search and rescue in this case.

.... which, as I read it, actually did imply a loss of both radar and com
contact ("you just went off-frequency *and* shut off your transponder",
emphasis added). You seem to have changed your point from "suddenly
disappering" to "loss of only com", and I seem to have missed that
transition.

Actually, it would make no sense to assume an emergency if only comm contact
is lost. They still have you on the radar, so you didn't crash, and you
simply might have gone off-frequeny or, at worst, gone NORDO.