Old February 26th 04, 07:24 PM
Kevin Brooks

"John Hairell" wrote in message
On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 05:58:14 GMT, Guy Alcala
wrote:

Thomas Schoene wrote:

I just wanted to start a new thread specifically to look at the new

aircraft
the Army is talking about buying instead of the Comanche, and see what
options there are available. As I read the briefings, there are

basically
three new manned platforms. I doubt there is funding for new designs

in any
of these roles. While it is really premature to say too much, with no
actual performance requirements set, I'm curious what options folks see

for
each.

1) Armed Reconnaissance Helicopter (368 to be bought).

Could this be a Sikorsky H-76?

The USCG is using A-109s for their armed helicopter role; is this an

option?

Probably not. I'd think an MD-5xx could be in the running, if they go

OTS.

Crank up the output of the MDH line and put out an MD 530FF/AH-6
variant (not a NOTAR) with improved recon gear and arm them with the
GAU-19 like they are using on SOA birds....the production means are
already there, the weapons are already there, the only thing lacking
is what extra electronics and sights you need and how to mount them,
and some sort of self-defense suite.

I kind of discounted the value of already having the MH/AH-6 in service, but
for the light armed scout role you may have a pretty good point here. Given
that elimination of NOTAR, of course.

Brooks

John Hairell )