Old April 20th 19, 06:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

Default Sun Protection While Soaring - UPF 50+ Clothing

On Saturday, April 20, 2019 at 1:55:13 PM UTC-4, Richard DalCanto wrote:
On Friday, April 19, 2019 at 10:29:27 PM UTC-6, wrote:
The meter was designed to check the intensity in the Ulta Violet range of the spectrum. The professor gave me a rather detail lesson of radiation energy in the IR thru UV section of the ‘spectrum’ and it’s ability to transit a medium. He stated that the UV amount was insignificant in the hundreths (sp) of a percent and the meter confirmed it. I could differentiate no difference in value between canopies. UV is very reflective, even off concrete. Angle of sun , time of day, winter/ summer made a big difference.
No harm in doing your own research, but can anyone recall landing with a sunburn. I wonder if standing out on the grid waiting allows one to be expose to high level of reflected UV from all the polish wings. A hat may not be enough. I need to do some more sampling.

Interesting. My son has transition glasses, which don't transition/turn dark in his car. However, he still got a blistering sunburn on his arm when he drove from Utah to California last August to start his Sophomore year (windows up). Does the plastic canopy protect more than auto glass? Thanks,
Rick

windshield likely tinted, side windows, not.