Old November 26th 03, 05:35 PM
Bob Gardner

When considering takeoff parameters, don't forget the increased rolling
resistance of overloaded tires...this will affect acceleration and takeoff
distance.

Bob Gardner

"Koopas Ly" wrote in message
om...
Howdy again,

After reading NTSB reports that attribute the cause of the accident to
exceeding the airplane's maximum takeoff weight, I began wondering
about the effects of an overweight takeoff within C.G. limits.
Specifically, what would I have to do differently when flying an
airplane that's heavier than what the POH specifies. I am not
supporting the practice, of course, so let it be purely educational.

Corrections, additions, and comments welcome.

I would start by considering the increase in weight as comparable to
an increase in load factor. Hence, all your aoa-related speeds would
increase by the square root of the load factor. Vs, Vx, Vy, Vglide,
etc. would all increase. Va would also go up.

Now, by virtue of rotation speed being a function of stall speed, I
conjecture you'd have to liftoff at a faster airspeed which would
equate to a longer takeoff roll.

Then, after pitching for your faster Vy airspeed, you'd notice a
decrease in climb rate at full power due to the increased power
requirement. During cruise, you'd notice a reduced cruise speed and
an increase in stall speed. At approach to landing, should you bump
up your approach speed, you'll find yourself sinking faster when
chopping off the power even though your glideslope will remain the
same.

Since your stall speed is invariably higher, you'll eat up more runway
when landing.

So to sum up:

Takeoff: higher takeoff distance, higher rotation speed.

Climbout: lower climb rate at higher Vy speed, same angle of climb for
obstacle clearance at higher Vx speed. Should Vx not be flown faster,
a poorer angle of climb would result, making obstable clearance
doubtful. *I may be wrong here* I am not sure if the max. angle of
climb is constant regardless of weight...my calculations don't show
so...could someone clarify?

Cruise/Maneuvering: lower cruise speed, higher maneuvering speed,
higher clean stall speed.

Approach to maintain glideslope & descent profile: higher approach
speed, higher sink rate for a given power setting. Higher dirty stall
speed.

Landing: higher landing distance

Question (1 of 2): Seems to me that flying "overweight" is possible if
you're aware of the performance reductions. So why do you read so
many NTSB reports with probable causes listed as "overweight takeoff,
exceeded performance limitations"? As you slowly pull the yoke to
rotate, wouldn't a pilot *realize* through control forces, feel, gut
feeling that something is wrong?

Question (2 of 2): When considering accidents due to exceeding maximum
takeoff weight, do the majority occur during takeoff? If so, is it
typically due to not reaching proper liftoff airspeed for that
increased weight, stalling, and spinning to the ground? Would this
scenario be consistent with failure to set the flaps/slats to their
takeoff value?

Alex