Old June 27th 08, 08:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Default Unpaved Landing areas

"Ol Shy & Bashful" wrote in
:

Ummm ... not sure what you were flying but seems to me, FULL FLAPS is
in the drag flap area and not maximum lift.

Oh, you'll get more lift, but as you say it's the cost in drag that usually
makes this not such a good idea. HoweverI got stuck in snow in a 150 when I
was a student and my instructor came to the airport I was stuck at and took
off in well over 6 inches of fluff using 30 degrees to get off. Gets you
out of the muck faster but at the expense of climbe performance.

I can think of many
aircraft that state max flap for takeoff at 10 deg or whatever "one
notch" equates to.

Well, it depends on what you're loking for and how much runway and gradient
you have to spare. Yo'll get an aiplane off the ground more quickly,
generally speaking, at a higher flap setting, but it will cost you in
climb.
Also, it's not bad technique to get airborne a little on the slow side in
ground effect on a soft field as long as you dont try to climb out of it at
the same speed you came off the ground. Best technique for performance is
to get the attitude right to allow the airplane to come off as early as it
can solidly do so and then to rotate to your climb attitude as smoothly as
you can at such a rotation speed to ensure you reach climb attitude and
your climb speed simultaneously. This ensures you have close to the optimum
alpha at all times as you accelerate in and then climb out of ground
effect.

Bertie